As we approach another peculiar school year, parents are preparing by digging deep into their pockets to buy pencils, crayons and other mandated supplies. Still, the £140 or so parents and caregivers are expected to contribute is paltry compared to what teachers will spend out-of-pocket on classroom essentials.
Teachers gearing up for an unsettled September are opening their wallets wide to ensure a successful school year. A 2020 survey by AdoptAClassroom.org found that teachers spend on average £749 of their own money on back-to-school supplies each year.
An earlier study by the National Education Association found that, for 94 percent of educators, paying for school supplies is as commonplace as creating classroom seating charts or developing lesson plans. Most of them will not be reimbursed.
In an effort to offset the burden teachers bear, retail chains across the nation offer discounts and other incentives.
During Dollar General's Teacher Appreciation Event, which runs through Sept.
6, educators can save 30 percent on school supplies after verifying eligibility.
30, teachers enrolled in Staples' Classroom Rewards program will receive 20 percent off in-store purchases. Parents who enroll in the program on the Staples Connect app can also contribute 20 percent of their back-to-school purchases to a teacher or school of their choice.
Teachers who are Office Depot OfficeMax Rewards members can earn 20 percent back in rewards on a qualifying in-store purchase, plus 40 percent off printing services.
Get the coupon, good through Sept.
30, at Officedepot.com/teachers.
Educators who do just a little bit of homework can also seize deals on spendy products like computers and software by taking advantage of exclusive discounts when shopping for supplies. Apple, for example, gives teachers 10 percent off most tech purchases.
Stack those store-exclusive and manufacturer coupons for places like Target and Staples to save even more.
In addition to those across-the-board bargain-hunting hacks, there are a number of retailers who offer exclusive discounts to teachers.
Here are just a few of the more than 300 money-saving sites that Offers.com uncovered:
- Barnes & Noble: B&N Educators receive 20 percent off all purchases for the classroom, and 25 percent off during Educator Appreciation Days.
- Jo-Ann Stores: The Teacher Rewards program offers 15 percent off every purchase.
- Lakeshore: Take 15 percent off hundreds of in-store items after joining the Lakeshore Learning Store Loyalty Club.
- Michaels: Teachers receive 15 percent off when they verify their educator information through the Michaels Rewards program.
- Scholastic: Save 25 percent or more on school supplies and books.
Computers and software
- Apple.com: Apple's Education Store offers special pricing, plus 20 percent off AppleCare+, on select products for teachers and students.
- HP: Teachers and students are entitled to a discount as high as 35 percent off, plus free shipping.
- Microsoft Store: Teachers and students can receive up to 10 percent off select electronics and software, plus Office 365 for free.
- Samsung: With the Samsung Student Discount Program, teachers and students can take up to 30 percent off smartphones, laptops and tablets.
- Adidas: Teachers get 30 percent off shoes after verifying their status through ID.me.
- Backcountry.com: Educators who verify their status with ID.me will land 20 percent off outdoor apparel and accessories.
- Boden: The apparel store offers 20 percent off for teachers who verify their identity.
- Crocs: Teachers can take 15 percent off full-priced styles after verifying their status with SheerID.
- JanSport: The backpack and bag brand is offering 20 percent off to students and teachers.
- J.Crew: With a valid ID, college teachers and students get 20 percent off in store and online purchases.
- Loft: Show your valid teacher ID and get 15 percent off your apparel purchase.
- Overstock: Teachers and students can get a free Club O Membership, with benefits like purchase rewards and free returns.
- Under Armour: Teachers can get 20 percent off for a limited time after verifying through ID.me.
- World Market: Get 20 percent off online purchases, plus free shipping on orders of £49 or more with verified teacher status.